On This Day in 1996 - Lucas Torreira was born

On This Day in 1996 - Lucas Torreira was born

On 11th February 1996, Lucas Torreira was born.

Torreira is an Uruguayan professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Premier League club Arsenal and the Uruguay national team.

Torreira started his youth football career at hometown club I.A. 18 de Julio of Fray Bentos. In 2013, he joined Montevideo Wanderers' youth team before moving to Italy where he joined Pescara's youth team.

On 10 July 2018, Torreira joined English club Arsenal for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around £26.4m. Torreira was given the number 11 shirt, previously worn by Mesut Ozil, who took the vacant number 10 following the departure of Jack Wilshere.

Torreira made his Premier League debut on 12 August, coming on as a substitute on the 70th minute in a 2–0 defeat to Manchester City. Torreira registered his first assist of the season, by setting up Alexandre Lacazette's winning goal in a 3–2 win over Cardiff City. Torreira made his full-debut and his Europa League debut for Arsenal in the 4–2 win over FC Vorskla Poltava on 2 September, before being replaced in the 57th minute by Mattéo Guendouzi. 

Torreira's performance in Arsenal's 1–1 draw with Liverpool drew particularly high praise from fans and pundits alike, picking up the man-of-the-match award. On 2 December, Torreira scored his first Arsenal goal and picked up another man-of-the-match award against Tottenham Hotspur when he latched on to a pass from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to slot the ball past Hugo Lloris to give Arsenal a fo

Source: allfootball/app

Discussions

Please login to leave a comments

Toast Me

Searching For True Love
  • Jun 24, 2019
  • Submitted by - Marshal2018
Love for who or what i Am
  • Jun 13, 2019
  • Submitted by - Donflexy9
Sunshine😍😍
  • Jun 11, 2019